Friday, December 17, 2004

hi nick, i'm the devil...

Yeah, we all know that the devil is signing up souls at a rapid clip in Hollywood. That's part of its charm. But if you had any doubts before, and by doubts I mean you just fell off the turnip truck, this should bring you up to speed:

Brad Grey Television has received a script commitment with penalty from Fox for a comedy project starring Nick Lachey portraying a retired pro baseball player coming home to his dysfunctional family, per Variety. Ethan Coen will write and executive produce.
Firstly, Ethan Coen? Ethan "Fargo" Coen? Let me get this straight. Ethan "The Big Lebowski" Coen is writing and exec producing a sitcom starring Nick Lachey. Ethan "O Brother Where Art Thou?" Coen.

Back in the Dark Days of ABC, before Desperate Housewives and Lost, ABC ordered Jessica Simpson's sitcom. I hadn't seen her and Nick's variety show yet, but I watched the occasional episode of The Newlyweds or whatever they called their reality show. It made sense, they were both hot. If I could watch their reality show with the sound off and my stereo blasting, I could do the same with a sitcom. Then I saw the variety show and I really don't know how I managed to keep my dinner down or to not soil my pants. I don't think I'll be watching, but then again, Ethan-fucking-Coen.

A friend of mine worked on Jessica's pilot and however many episodes they managed to get in the can before someone at ABC put down the pipe and came to their senses. He can't talk about the shows he works on because they'd can his ass if it ever was traced back to him. But with interpretive dance and shadow puppets, he managed to communicate that it was a steaming pile of turd and that the American public does not realize how narrowly we escaped that assault on our intelligence. I wonder if Nick was in her sitcom?

Thank Buddha for cable:
Showtime has ordered 10 episode of a series called Weeds (Lions Gate Television). The show stars Mary Louise Parker as a newly widowed wife/mother (think "soccer mom" type), who without an alternative source of income, decides to grow marijuana to support her family. The project also stars Kevin Nealon and Elizabeth Perkins. The show is scheduled to debut in 2nd or 3rd qtr 2005.

On a serious note, finally, a chance for informed discourse on the pros and cons of marijuana as a cash crop. Then because I've been up all night despite downing three jello shots in rapid succession and smoking the last of my weed - woohoo! Pot-growing mommas on tv! I love America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home