Thursday, December 30, 2004

best 100 hours in vegas ever!

I'm in Las Vegas right now, with my friends Sandra and Camille. Initially, we were going to hole up in Vegas and crank out their business plan. I've always had good luck in switching locales, a change in scenery has always made a positive impact on the quality and the volume of my writing. But I have no idea what I'm doing here now. The cast has increased, there will be seven of us partying together and crashing here tonight. Maybe I just had a few bad nights, last night was a rough one and the night previous was even worse. But being around so many people for such long stretches of time... I guess I need to be socialized again and not be such a hermit.

Tuesday, the first day, was good. In addition to the time spent on the business plan, I spent a lot of time working on one of many screenplays I'm juggling. The rain was coming down in buckets, so there weren't a lot of distractions. We couldn't even get a pizza delivered because the roads were washed out. Yesterday, I went shopping. So I didn't get much writing done because I was out shopping the entire day. Out of freakin' control. Three pairs of boots, a pink suede jacket, a briefcase and laptop case later, I was done. At least that's what I thought. The next day, more shopping. I did have a great time with my friends. I hope that 2005 brings happier occasions where I can wear these items. I'm usually not superstitious but I don't want to wear any of these items in 2004 - I don't want to take the chance that any bad 2004 ju-ju will be left, like an oily residue.

We've been considering our options for New Year's Eve. Despite the threat of inclement weather, the strip beckons me and downtown Vegas was mentioned as a possibility. I've never done New Year's Eve in Vegas, I'm not sure what to expect, but this town is ready to rock and roll and I think I am too. It's no secret that intoxication has its downside, especially for those who are a little long in the tooth. It impairs judgement, the ability to do most things, and it can bring on a depressed mood. I'm already susceptible, but I think I will tempt fate and party like its 1999. No guts, no glory and I almost never say never. Why? As Vice Magazine wrote, "Don't ever say no to a reasonable invitation to do something that might be fun. This is a WASP rule, and one of the reasons why rich white people rule the planet." Works for me.

I'm sure there will be all sorts of sloppy drunks wherever we go. I haven't been out on New Year's Eve without a specific party or date in many years. I admit I'm a little apprehensive. If I don't enjoy myself, I hate to go along just to get along. But I'm with a group so I hope I'll be in the mood to enjoy the company, the festivities, the drunks, the drugs and the booze. I just don't want to get all boozy and bummed out, or run out of drugs or cry like a little girl, or do something desperate like get married or sign up for eHarmony. But now that I think about it, I think I would rather get married in Vegas to someone I've known for a few hours than hook up with someone through eHarmony. That makes no sense, I am cognizant of that, but it just sounds like the a lot more fun. And wouldn't you rather read about my New Year's Eve wedding instead of hooking up with some accountant from Los Feliz who thinks that his ability to create romance in a relationship is one of the top three things I should know about him? That's what I thought.

1 Comments:

Blogger edward parish said...

Stumbled on to your website again, I guess I'm curious what it is you do for a living? Maybe it is none of my business, being an old guy at 47 and happily married, but why worry so much about life, just live.
namur97@yahoo.com

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home