Saturday, January 01, 2005

2005 book list

I used to spend so much more time at home reading a good book. How did I manage to spend so much time drinking, drugging and acting like a big ol' slut? Not that I'm going to curtail that behavior in 2005, but I'd like to sprinkle a little knowledge in there somewhere. So for 2005, these are the books that I plan to read. You can read along if you'd like and I will be making reference to them in my posts. Here's the list so far:

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene
I read this once before and unfortunately, I didn't retain much. I was distracted, I think. Not that I'd be any less distracted now, but I'll give it another try, maybe something will take.

A Brief History of Time: The Updated and Expanded Tenth Anniversary Edition by Stephen Hawking
I really enjoyed The Universe in a Nutshell and am a big Stephen Hawking fan. After I finish this one, I think I'll tackle The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of Everything. I wonder if Mr. Hawking has a fan club and t-shirts.

The Wisdom of Crowds: Why the Many Are Smarter Than the Few and How Collective Wisdom Shapes Business, Economies, Societies and Nations by James Surowiecki
I want to be convinced. I think a person is smart and people are stupid, so to read a book that says crowds and mob mentality don't always go hand in hand, that'll be refreshing. Especially after what I saw on New Year's Eve on the Vegas strip.

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
Who doesn't want to read about the the most important figure in American history who never became President? Besides, I hear this is the best Alexander Hamilton biography ever!

America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction, Jon Stewart
If I don't laugh about what's going on politically, I would have to cry. Or lash out violently at some undeserving person who just happened to be in front of me when I lose it. So to read this book would be performing a community service of sorts.

He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
by Greg Behrendt, Liz Tuccillo
Not only do I need to read this book, I need to live it. Enough with the bullshit already.

1 Comments:

Blogger edward parish said...

May I also suggest these two wonderfully easy reads-
My California Journeys By Great Authors -
Various Authors
United States of Europe - TR Reid

Peace be with you

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home